Advent Challenge Days 17 & 18

The glory of the one and only Son who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.  John testified concerning him.  He cried out, saying, 'This is the one I spoke about when I said, "He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me"' John 1:14,15

"Jesus is the ultimate prophet not simply because he brings a better word.  Jesus is the greatest prophet because he himself is the message.  He doesn't simply pass on a message from God like every other prophet.  He is the message... The letter of Hebrews begins, 'In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son (Hebrews 1:1-2)" (Chester, 2015, p. 78).

More than ever this time of Advent has convinced me that I want to commit to really having a good look at John in 2016.  This introductory section has raised so many interesting ideas that I'm keen to follow them through the whole book.  Like a gripping introduction to a story, John has made me really interested in what lies ahead in the rest of his account of Jesus' life.  

Comments

Meredith said…
Hi Jenny,
Well done with your Advent Challenge. It has been great to read along with you.
I have just finished going through John with a Bible study group this year. We used a book in the Read/Mark/Learn series that comes out of St Helen's Bishopgate. I think you can get it at Koorong, but certainly via the Internet. This study is book sized, breaks John up into 27 sections. Each section has notes on structure, OT links, commentary notes, application then and now and then a set of very insightful questions. I did this study about ten years ago and remembered it being good. And good it is. It hasn't disappointed at all. So if you were looking for a resource to help you wander through John I highly, highly recommend this. (Unsolicited advice finishes here.)
Merry Christmas Jenny.
Love Meredith x

Popular posts from this blog

Going grey at 40

Confessions of an earl grey addict

Christmas memory creating