Kid's book review: Wonder


If you read no other kid's book this year, read this book.  My 12yo daughter read it earlier this year and loved it.  And it's been sitting on my desk for weeks but I've been distracted by other books.  I'm so glad I finally got around to it.  I was crying by the end.  It is a beautiful story.

The story is about a 10 year old boy called August  who is born with severe facial deformity that means he has been homeschooled.  But his parents have decided that it is time for him to attend a mainstream school so the story begins with his orientation visit to Beecher Prep where he's going to start grade 5.

This is a book perfect for upper primary kids.  The author has captured the world of this age in an incredible way.  The story is told from the point of view of the different kids involved in the story.  From the main character August, to his older sister Via.  From the point of view of his new friends Jack and Summer.  From the point of view of Via's new boyfriend.

One of the aspects of reading that I love is that it fosters empathy.  Helps you think about what it might be like to be in the shoes of another person.  And this book certainly does that.

Read it.  You won't regret it.

Comments

Nicky F said…
I am picking this up tomorrow at the library - thanks for the recommendation. Have you read much Michael Morpurgo?
Jenny said…
I haven't read much myself but my 10 yo daughter loves him and he's popular at school. He's a great author.

Popular posts from this blog

Going grey at 40

Confessions of an earl grey addict

Christmas memory creating